Shoreline Athletics Mascot Logo Competition Winner

A Chat with the Artist

Was it hard to make the logos?
It’s not very hard if you love what you do, I guess that’s why designing for me is like playing. It reminds me of when I was a kid. I will never get bored or tired of it. Key: Do what you love and do what you do best.”

What are your future plans?
My plan after I graduate is to work in a design studio in Seattle, where I can grow as a designer and keep learning from other graphic designers. If that doesn’t work out, I will move back to Madrid and create my own design studio where I can put in practice everything I’ve learned at here at Shoreline.”

Why did you come to Shoreline?
I moved to Seattle almost 2 years ago pursuing a degree in animation; however, during my first quarter I discovered what graphic design was all about, and also I got inspired by teachers and students of the graphic design program. Then, I decided to change my major and become a graphic designer.”

Congratulations to Paloma de Murga, winner of the Shoreline Athletics Mascot Logo Competition!

Paloma, an international student from Spain, is in the Visual Arts program. Asked how it felt to win the competition she said, “Winning always feels great, and knowing that my design will represent Athletics is even better. I am so grateful for the opportunity. And I can’t wait to get a t-shirt with the logo on it. Go Dolphins!”

Paloma plans to graduate with an associate’s degree in graphic design in the Spring of 2015. She is also the art editor for Shoreline’s award-winning Spindrift Art and Literary Journal.

The athletic department had been looking to rebrand the athletic logo and wanted to involve students as much as possible. With remodeling about to begin for the 3000 building, which includes the dolphin gym, the athletics program felt it was a perfect time to rebrand. That’s why they held a campus-wide contest open to all students. Among the great designs submitted, Paloma’s was chosen by a selection committee that included members of student government, visual arts faculty, student athletes and college staff from the public information office, facilities and the athletics program.

“We had several designs to chose from,” said Steve Eskridge, Interim Athletic Director. “We would like to thank all of the students that participated in the competition for their hard work and strong entries.”

Look for Paloma’s design to be featured on the athletics website, in the renovated gym, team uniforms and in many other places. For her outstanding work, Paloma will receive a $500 scholarship from the Shoreline Community College Foundation.

1 Comment